What is Tantra?
From Judy Kuriansky, The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Tantric Sex
The word “tantra” comes from ancient Sanskrit language meaning “expansion through awareness.” Tantra is a spiritual path that involves specific practices that use breath, sounds, movements, and symbols to quiet the mind and activate sexual energy, directing it throughout the body to achieve states of consciousness and bliss. Tantra traditions come from ancient practices in India, Nepal, and China. Whereas once they were reserved for royalty, now they are for all of us.
The practices also help heal past hurts, often stored in sexual centers of the body, so that you can be more fully present in the moment and open to love. When practiced together, the techniques bring about a powerful flow of energy between you and your partner, which energizes your being and expands your love for each other and the universe.
What is Tantric Sex?
• Achieving a balance between male and female energies within the self and with a partner.
• Sexuality that directs energy toward free expression and breaks barriers internally and interpersonally. This is attained by elevating sex acts into a divine practice and uniting as beloveds for whom every touch and movement is considered a divine gift.
• Aligning with another being and with the world through divine sexual experience.
• Celebrating sexual union as an honoring of all beings and creation.
• Practices that liberate the soul to experience the highest levels of bliss.